Lisa G. Han
Squire Sanders (US) LLP
Lisa Han’s healthcare practice includes mergers, acquisitions and restructurings of insurance companies and healthcare entities; strategic alliances between hospitals and physicians; reimbursement issues between providers and payers including product and network issues, prompt payment compliance, audits and recovery; complex managed care contract negotiations; and regulatory compliance for healthcare providers.
Lisa is a member of numerous professional organizations including the American Health Lawyers Association and Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys. She also is a member of the Health Law and International Law Sections of the American Bar Association, Health Care Law Committee of the Columbus Bar Association and Health Care Law Committee of the Ohio State Bar Association.
Lisa has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America each year since 2003 and named an Ohio Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters each year since 2004, including being named one of the “Top 25 Women in Columbus” in 2010.
Lisa has been a featured speaker on healthcare topics at numerous industry conferences and frequently authors articles for healthcare-related publications, including Health Law Strategist, and organizations including the chapter “Government Payors” for Health Plans Contracting Handbook, 5th and 6th edition, American Health Lawyers Association (2008 and 2011).
- Advising clients on a variety of issues under Health Reform including formation of patient centered medical homes and Accountable Care Organizations (ACO), regulatory concerns arising from these new models and impact of Exchange on providers and health plans.
- Providing counsel on formation and operation of integrated delivery systems consisting of multiple hospitals, major physician groups and other healthcare providers.
Representing provider-owned or affiliated health plans on a wide variety of corporate, operational and regulatory issues, ranging from structuring financing arrangements among providers and affiliated
payers (e.g., revolving loan), establishing management services and other shared services organizations, to advising on Anti-Kickback, Stark and antitrust issues.
- Providing counsel in the acquisition, sale, restructuring and expansion of managed care plans and approvals from federal and state regulatory authorities.
- Providing counsel on formation and operation of life and health, property and casualty insurance companies, and various types of managed care plans such as PPOs, HMOs and rental and fronting arrangements.
- Providing legislative support and expert witness testimony on a variety of provider/payer issues including mandated benefits, credentialing, rental network and most-favored nation provisions.
- Advising clients on programs with federal and state governments such as Medicare Advantage – Prescription Drug Programs, Medicaid managed care plans and federal employee healthcare programs.
- Providing counsel in negotiating major reimbursement agreements between providers and payers, and in the successful resolution of disputes over audits and recovery.
- Providing counsel on the formation of health insurance purchasing groups including health insurance alliances and co-ops.
Publications and Speaking engagements
- Speaker, “Winning Commercialization Strategies: Paths to China,” Cleveland, Ohio, January 24, 2012.
- Speaker, “An Overview of Reimbursement Methodologies for Provider Contracts,” AHLA Payors, Plans and Managed Care Law Institute Seminar, Chicago, October, 2011.
- Author, Chapter 12, Medicare Managed Care Contracting,Health Plans Contracting Handbook, A Guide for Payors and Providers, 6th Edition, AHLA, 2011.
- Speaker, “Winning Strategies for China: Key Exporting Buisness & Legal Issues for Biomedical Products Makers,” Cleveland, Ohio, April 26, 2011.
Appointment by Ohio Senate for “Most Favored Nation Committee,” 2009.
Speaker, AHLA Teleconference on Health Plans Contracting Handbook, 5th Edition, 2009.